It was a good thing I checked my e-mail after breakfast this morning, otherwise, things might have been a little awkward arriving at the school where I was due to have a residency this week.
I’ve been “working” on the idea all year – in my head – playing with ideas and not really satisfied with any of them. I finally went back to the original plan (shown) and it was agreed that it was what we would attempt (for 2nd graders, soon to be 3rd graders) in indigo. This was my original idea using rubber bands or thread, then completing the process with an outline stitch.
Then, I thought, well why not stitch the image?
I quickly made up some quick samples to illustrate a couple of possible approaches. I wonder now if they were too challenging. I simply don’t know, but I was ready for “mistakes” and “failure” knowing that any results showing any pattern or resist at all would be just fine, we’d work with it – part of the fun and challenge.
I was told the students would practice with needle & thread before my arrival – which they did. However, as it turns out, they are not allowed to use real needles. They did wind up practicing with larger plastic needles, but unsuccessfully….so, I’ve come up with another approach, something simpler, still involving shibori and we’ll do it next week. So, in the next few days I’ve got a bit more prepping do to make sure it works. In the end, perhaps it’s a good thing and maybe they’ll have a good experience with their end-of-year project – I hope.