Sometimes things just don’t work out, but it doesn’t mean I’m giving up, not by a long shot. These little guys didn’t survive for some reason. Something made them sick and I have no idea what. Up until now, they were eating voraciously and growing at what seemed a good rate. I don’t know if it was the leaves or perhaps the room temperature that affected them. It was cooler than I expected on my return home (from my Missoula trip) and I didn’t pay attention to that aspect of things.
I do have another group of eggs started from week ago, though and brought another bunch out of the ‘fridge today, just to be safe. I’m not giving up, but it does make me wonder and want to learn more about these little creatures.
It also makes me think about the venture in Silk Hope, NC that didn’t work out. Apparently there is no evidence of that industry today. The only site that I’ve found telling a story about it says that the gentleman grew Mulberry trees, ordered his caterpillars from China, then when they were placed on the leaves, would not eat.
When I read that, I wondered about where and how he learned about the process. It isn’t my approach (not that I’m an expert) and it isn’t how I’ve seen it done in Japan. At any rate, the story is apparently lore and it’s just a thing I think about when raising my own “worms” in North Carolina.