Brewing Silk soup & Making Hankies


Hankie

Originally uploaded by SOFennell

Following the instructions on Wormspit, Beth and I plunged into the next step in our explorations with raising silkworms.

The morning began with making silk soup (with the proper ingredients including cocoons) and then opening up each cocoon (after removing the pupa skin or shell) and pulling it out and attaching it to a stretcher.

The hankies were layered up to about 10 sheets or less, then rinsed in a vinegar and water solution, then in Milsoft. They were then removed from the frame, squeezed out on paper toweling and hung on the line to dry.

Altogether, we opened 70-80 cocoons with the results being about 8 silk pieces. I have roughly 50 cocoons waiting to hatch and if I were to repeat what I did today, I would have 5 small silk textile pieces to work with. Thank you silkies, for your hard work. Gokurosama deshita!

Advertisements

Tags: ,

5 Responses to “Brewing Silk soup & Making Hankies”

  1. Clare W Says:

    Fantastic – wonderful to see the start to finish process

  2. Velma Says:

    i remember spinning up hankies after dyeing them many years ago. neat!

  3. The Ardent Thread Says:

    How exciting! I would love to do a project like this someday. Thank you for posting it.

    I did have some silkworm cocoons a while back… my dog ate them, crazy beast that she is.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: